Vision & Mission
Cities TCP is a joint international effort that aims to accelerate decarbonisation of cities by providing a communication platform for relevant expertise of all IEA bodies to the local level including cities, financial institutions, utilities, service providers and building constructors.
“By 2050, cities have transformed their current energy supply and mobility into CO2-neutral systems through knowledge-based and ambitious action, while simultaneously ensuring a high quality of life for and broad acceptance by their citizens.”
Cities TCP aims to provide:
• scientific and evidence-based information, tools, and recommendations to support urban decarbonisation efforts;
• an international forum and communication channel for research and innovation-related projects on urban energy and mobility system transformation;
• Cross-fertilisation – initiates and fosters exchange between relevant TCPs giving the needs and questions of cities a prominent position.
Objectives & Scope
• collect, integrate, process, guide, disseminate and apply IEA knowledge;
• evaluate the state-of-the-art of technologies on a system level;
• connect non-technical aspects (financial, organisational, public support, value creation, PPP, etc.) as a crucial boundary condition for successful implementation of technical aspects and to enable & encourage dialogue between technical and non-technical experts;
• support system integration of all relevant technologies and the linking of technologies in cities;
• offer support in aligning national strategies with those on a city level;
• provide added value and inter-connection between existing city networks like Global Convenant of Mayors, Mission Innovation
City networks/ researchers/ Urban decision makers (administration, planning staff, etc.), intermediaries (local / national).